See instructions below.
I need help with a Environmental Science question. All explanations and answers will be used to help me learn.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
For this assignment, you are the lead incident commander for a hazardous
materials incident similar to those that have been introduced in this course.
In this scenario, diisocyanates [toluene diisocyanate (TDI) and methylene
diphenyl diisocyanate (MDI)] are being unloaded at the tank farm of HLF
Polyurethane Manufacturing. TDI and MDI are used as raw materials in the
production of polyurethane. During the unloading process, the vapor return
line ruptured and caught fire due to a nearby welding operation that
provided the ignition source.
The following actions were
- The evacuation alarm was sounded and the facility emergency response team (ERT) was activated.
- The plant manager and the local fire department were notified of the incident.
- The incident command was established at the facility office near the main access gate to the south (this is the furthest distance within the property boundary from the incident location).
- The incident commander implemented actions required under the approved emergency response plan.
- The ERT was not able to immediately isolate the source of the incident.
- The fire department arrived on location and assumed the incident command of the event.
- The facility encompasses an area measuring 2000 feet by 1400 feet.
- The nearest residential community is located approximately 1000 feet to the northeast.
- A plastic recycling plant is located along the south fence boundary of the refinery.
- A major interstate highway runs directly parallel to the plant.
- The ambient temperature on the day of the incident was 85° F and the wind was blowing at 7 mph from the southwest to the northeast.
- The facility has a trained ERT that can respond to incidents.
Your essay must address the following:
- Identify all hazardous materials involved, their classifications and their physical properties.
- Discuss chemical incompatibility and interactions relevant to this incident.
- Explain how the lead incident commander should respond to this incident based on the Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG). Click the link below to access the ERG at the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration website:
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration. (n.d.). Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG). Retrieved from http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/library/erg
- Explain the corrective action plan that should be implemented to prevent a reoccurrence of this event.
response must be at least one page in length (not counting the cover
page or reference page). All sources used, including the textbook, must
be referenced. Paraphrased and quoted materials must have accompanying
in-text and reference citations in APA format.